Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Christian opinion against Christion opinion about Jan 6, 2021

Presiding Bishop joins call for Christians to counter Christian nationalism during webinar – Episcopal News Service, Jan 28, 2021

Bishop Curry speaks at 23 minutes into the video. In my paraphrase: anytime Christianity strays from Jesus of Nazareth, the cause is suppression by Christ, an ambiguous figure someone uses for immoral purpose. Apartheid, Nazism, and white supremacy are examples. These are violations of Christianity based on Jesus Christ as Lord.

In my view, the good bishop is himself astray from the-metaphysical-Jesus-message (MJM). By MJM, I mean the-good which the continuum “ourselves and our Posterity”* can& may gain by discovering, accepting, practicing, facilitating, and encouraging behavior according to Jesus’ principles and their extensions.

Christ is an entity of dispute with the Jews, a faction of whom predicted a messiah (anointed one) to establish a kingdom. “Christ” evolved from English translations of the Greek Χριστού, which in turn is from the Hebrew מָשִׁיחַ (Mašíaḥ, messiah), meaning "[one who is] anointed" (Wikipedia). The evolution to “Christ” happened long after Jesus died.

To Christians, Christ indisputably titles Jesus. Applying the title is a risk I would not take, for at least 3 reasons.

First, Matthew shares the hearsay that Jesus said, “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven.” Just as I never liked someone saying “Phil: horse lover!”, or someone laughing about “beaver” for their reasons, I doubt Jesus accepts commentary on his name.

Second, given the chance to speak for himself before being sentenced to death, John reports that Jesus said,
“ . . . the reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.” Jesus could have accepted Pontius Pilot deciding not to kill an innocent man. Jesus, facing death, neither admitted kingship nor claimed fulfilling Hebrew prophesy. To me, the Bible presents, perhaps misrepresents, a mysterious Jesus, and I think collaborating to discover MJM empowers pursuit of the-ineluctable-truth.

Third, I choose to discover MJM to benefit my way of living. I serenely perceive that if I changed my quid for the Christian pro quo (everlasting life to defeat death) MJM would be aware of my duplicity – lack of integrity.

I share my concerns, because I appreciate fellow citizens, as they are where they are. If my choices-for-me seem worthy of consideration, I do not want to change one person’s mind, because I do not know the-ineluctable-truth. Let people who read my concerns make their own choices. I want responsibility for only one person’s actions: my person’s life. I can& must caution, with appreciation, anyone’s attempt to force me to falsify my trust-in and commitment-to MJM.

*[Quoting the preamble to the U.S. Constitution.]

No comments:

Post a Comment