Sunday, July 10, 2022

John 5:1-18 influencing fellow-citizens to overcome fear

 I read the Bible with the perspective that Jesus affirmed Genesis 1, especially Genesis 1:28, which commends humankind to independently provide safety& security to the living species and to the earth. I call it responsible-human-independence (RHI). In recent weeks, my theory has matured:  God's love, the Holy Spirit, Jesus’ peace, Satan, heaven/hell, and soul are six mysteries that believers can accept and take-comfort-in according to their responsible-resolutions. I listen to responses to the theory hoping to improve it. Nevertheless, I think it is each citizen’s duty to take responsibility for safety& security in their way of living. Because some fellow-citizens can& may choose to be tyrants (arbitrary-dependents, criminals, and elite takers), civic-citizens must fund law, law enforcement, and statutory-justice development.

John 5:1-18 NIV

The Healing at the Pool

Some time later, Jesus went up to Jerusalem for one of the Jewish festivals. Now there is in Jerusalem near the Sheep Gate a pool, which in Aramaic is called Bethesda and which is surrounded by five covered colonnades. Here a great number of disabled people used to lie—the blind, the lame, the paralyzed. [4] [V 4 purged in recent translation.]One who was there had been an invalid for thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him lying there and learned that he had been in this condition for a long time, he asked him, “Do you want to get well?

“Sir,” the invalid replied, “I have no one to help me into the pool when the water is stirred. While I am trying to get in, someone else goes down ahead of me.”

Then Jesus said to him, “Get up! Pick up your mat and walk.” At once the man was cured; he picked up his mat and walked. [Today, Jon Parks, preaching at UBC listed “cure” possibilities, including that the man was psychologically invalid and thus living in error.]

The day on which this took place was a Sabbath, 10 and so the Jewish leaders said to the man who had been healed, “It is the Sabbath; the law forbids you to carry your mat.”

11 But he replied, “The man who made me well said to me, ‘Pick up your mat and walk.’ ”

12 So they asked him, “Who is this fellow who told you to pick it up and walk?”

13 The man who was healed had no idea who it was, for Jesus had slipped away into the crowd that was there. [According to Parks, the man acted without expectation that Jesus was a healer. Therefore, it is possible the Jesus’ command convinced him to act rather than maintain fear. I have a similar situation at age 79 and intending to skateboard. Because my bones are brittle, I do not take risks, so my learning rate is slow. However, I do not need to let fear keep me from working toward my goal. Time constraint may mean that I only reach a minimal attainment, but that will be OK with me.]

14 Later Jesus found him at the temple and said to him, “See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you.” [The dictionary holds “sin” to be religious fault. However, Parks’ sermon or Parks directly helped me interpret it as human error in John 5 context. That is to be psychologically bound to a perceived infirmity is simple error. Research led to the ancinet Greek meaning, "fail of one's purpose, or go wrong.] 15 The man went away and told the Jewish leaders that it was Jesus who had made him well. [Persuaded him from fear?] [With Jon Parks’ leadership and my Greek-word-research, I think this John-5 story is an example of Jesus affirming Genesis 1:28. Civic-citizens (like Jesus) practice, facilitate, and encourage RHI, and thereby influence fellow citizens to develop order and prosperity on earth. That is, when civic-citizens see the opportunity to encourage a dependent citizen to reform, they humbly act.]

The Authority of the Son [These paragraph headings are a form of political influence.]

16 So, because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jewish leaders began to persecute him. 17 In his defense Jesus said to them, “My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.” 18 For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God. [The theological squabble between Jewish leaders and Christians represses/obfuscates the lesson about civic citizens trusting mutual encouragement. Viewed from Genesis-1 RHI, both sides are in error.]

No comments:

Post a Comment