Sunday, April 2, 2023

Philippians 2. Can the civic-Jesus surpass Christ?

 

[Introduction: Biblical literature offers hints to the-ineluctable-truth about human opportunity. Here are 3 hints: Jesus is the-God (John 1:1), Jesus’ will (Genesis 1:26-28, NIV featuring “may”), and Jesus’ message, "Be [as] perfect" as the-God (Mathew 5:48). Ineluctable means: not to be avoided, changed, escaped, hidden, neglected, rationalized, or resisted.


The living Jesus may have advocated the-good rather than claimed to be “anointed one& king”. Human-beings can& may accept the-good, continually pursue the-good, and continuously practice the-good. If asked how humankind discovered self-interest in the-good, we can& may express appreciation to Jesus. Also, see my Genesis-1 essay about human duty, at the end of this study.

Consider the scholarly Bible evidence, “From Jesus to Christ”, Parts 1& 2, FRONTLINE,1998 at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN8FM1NCOSk and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXqFvfCaFwY. Each Easter, we can effect the public resurrection of the-civic-Jesus and accept the mysterious-Jesus presence in the beginning until the end of time.

Under our generation’s mystery-watch to “ourselves and our Posterity”, Jesus, the-God, can surpass Christ, Judeo-Christian messiah& king.]
 

Philippians 2 Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ [neglecting Jesus?], if any comfort from his love [appreciation], if any common sharing in the Spirit [personal motivation& inspiration], if any tenderness and compassion [kindness& justice]then make my joy complete [Pauline arrogance against Jesus?] by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others [together, oppressing Jesus for Christ].

In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

Who, being in very nature [or in the form of] God,
    did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
rather, he made himself nothing
    by taking the very nature [or the form] of a servant,
    being made in human likeness. [Paul doubly misses Jesus’ emphasis on Genesis-1’s assertion that the-God willed humankind to be like the-God “so they may” rule” life on earth.]
And being found in appearance as a man,
    he humbled himself
    by becoming obedient to death—
        even death on a cross!

Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
    and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
    in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
    to the glory of God the Father. [This is bold lessening of “Jesus” to “Jesus Christ”. It lifts a Christian squabble over Judeo “anointed one”, in-order-to suppress Jesus’s will: each human, in the likeness of the-God, can& may perfect their unique person before death. Shame on Paul for aggressive ignorance regarding Jesus’ references to Genesis 1, a Sumerian rather than Israeli political philosophy. Note: I constantly remind readers: Phil Beaver thinks Christ does not displace Jesus but does not know. And for all I know, Jesus is the-God.]

12 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling [a philosophical work by Søren Kierkegaard, published in 1843], 13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.

14 Do everything without grumbling or arguing, 15 so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” [So far, every generation has denied Genesis 1:2-28’s “so they may”.] Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky 16 as you hold firmly to the word of life [Jesus rather than Christ – the word of death]. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ [a brash Christ-prediction I’m glad I did not make] that I did not run or labor in vain. 17 But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you. 18 So you too should [can& may] be glad and rejoice with me.

19 I hope in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you soon, that I also may be cheered when I receive news about you. 20 I have no one else like him, who will show genuine concern for your welfare. 21 For everyone looks out for their own interests, not those of Jesus Christ [how does Jesus react to Christ-neglect of his person?]22 But you know that Timothy has proved himself, because as a son with his father he has served with me in the work of the gospel [the gospel of Christ above Jesus]23 I hope, therefore, to send him as soon as I see how things go with me. 24 And I am confident in the Lord [what is Paul’s Lord: God? Jesus? Christ? Jesus Christ? Paul’s opinion? Paul’s pride?] that I myself will come soon.

25 But I think it is necessary to send back to you Epaphroditus, my brother, co-worker and fellow soldier, who is also your messenger, whom you sent to take care of my needs. 26 For he longs for all of you and is distressed because you heard he was ill. 27 Indeed he was ill, and almost died. But God had mercy on him, and not on him only but also on me, to spare me sorrow upon sorrow. 28 Therefore I am all the more eager to send him, so that when you see him again you may be glad and I may have less anxiety. 29 So then, welcome him in the Lord with great joy, and honor people like him, 30 because he almost died for the work of Christ [not Jesus]. He risked his life to make up for the help you yourselves could not give me. [Let 2023 mark the reform of civic-churches from advocating Christ above Jesus. Civic implies reliability in human connections& transactions.]

The importance of Genesis 1, a 5,500 year old Mesopotamian political philosophy:

[I apply Genesis-1-NIV perspective to Bible interpretation, NIV because of the phrase “so they may” in V 26. Coming from the-God, “may” implies “can”. For all I know, Jesus is the-God, and the-God may be the-good.

I think Genesis 1:26-28, expresses the-civic-Jesus-message (CJM):  Human male unites-to female human-being and their spouse-hood can& may pursue comprehensive-safety& security to the living species and to the earth (SECURITY). Every person can& may aid SECURITY, and the civic-citizen so chooses. Some persons neglect, partially or wholly, mysterious-Jesus-appreciation, Jesus’-peace, and SECURITY. I don’t know that there are humans who cannot, rather than will-not, aid SECURITY.

I call Genesis-1’s message, “responsible-human-independence” or RHI. Some human-beings, throughout history, practice, facilitate& encourage RHI. History’s Jesus exemplified RHI. From the past, civic-citizens guide-us and consequences from non-civic-persons warn-us against error. I think the-civic-Jesus guides-us to RHI. “Civic” means reliable in human connections& transactions. Perhaps the authentic Jesus merely advocated the-good.

But I don’t know the-ineluctable-truth (IDK). “Ineluctable” means: not to be avoided, changed, escaped, hidden, neglected, rationalized, or resisted: I can& may choose either RHI or dependency, such as religious arrogance. I can& may be derelict.

Persons appreciating contemporary human being (verb), during each generation, develop CJM. In other words, CJM facilitates the civic-appreciation that human being (verb) applied “before Abraham was born” and since then. Given the question, “Was Jesus a man?”, I respond IDK yet value CJM, an attitude which seems sufficient& complete to my person. I advocate the-civic-Jesus and admit that could be the-good. Yet the-good cannot replace the authentic Jesus. Nor can Christ displace Jesus.

Perhaps CJM always was the-good human being (verb). Intention to the-good was present at the Big Bang, 13.7 billion years ago. There’s joy in accepting IDK, seeking ineluctable-evidence, and reserving humility to RHI. Joy may facilitate happiness.

It seems the-laws-of-physics& progeny (PHYSICS) constrains the consequences of each person’s choices. A person who claims to be a spirit nevertheless bleeds. Physics’ progeny includes: fundamental forces, mathematics, chemistries, biology, psychology, imagination, and their subsets. I choose to accept mysterious-Jesus and pursue Jesus’ “my-peace”, in-order-to commit-to and trust-in PHYSICS. For example, I work for food& shelter rather than accept what a bureaucrat might provide. Only if I secure my energy to work can I help the indigent. I work to aid SECURITY rather than pray for an entity to usurp RHI. Make no mistake: if one of my loved ones seems threatened beyond my protection, I pray to the-God IDK.

Admitting I could be wrong, IDK, I accept that Genesis 1:26-28, NIV, urges me to constrain chaos in my way of living; in other words, urges me to the-good suggested by the-civic-Jesus I pursue by listening to fellow-citizens.]

 

No comments:

Post a Comment