Sunday, January 23, 2022

Election and antinomianism: John 13, NIV

Note: I read the Bible to consider whether a specific passage comports to my weak-comprehension of the perhaps 5,000-year-old Sumerian philosophy expressed by Hebrew scholars 3,000 years ago in Genesis 1:28:  Female& male-human-being can& may, independent of other entities, constrain political chaos on earth. I think the next Bible canon should include the law codes of Sumer.

I perceive that the 10,000-year-old Sumer civilization ought to be considered, in order to increase civic-integrity while appreciating private spiritual pursuits in 2022 and beyond.

Election and antinomianism: John 13, NIV

Reading to discover St. John’s possible 1) conformity-to Genesis 1:28’s suggestion that no power can usurp responsible-human-independence (RHI); that is, each human-being is in authority-facing-death and, therefore, can& may choose integrity-to the-ineluctable-truth, and 2) his appreciative-humility-to whatever-controls-the-consequences-of-each-human-choice [and responding as best-PRB can]. Some scholars think "John of Patmos" is the elder St. John the apostle. I contend with much in this passage and take great comfort in my reference to John in 6:38’s “whoever comes to me I will never drive away”, below.

13 1 It was just before the Passover Festival. Jesus knew that the hour had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father. [Honored as the saints may be, no human-being can witness for Jesus. Furthermore, no scholar can limit human choice, such as Judas's choice to betray Jesus. That is, under the entity that controls the consequences of human choice, Judas could have chosen not to betray Jesus.] Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end. [A psychological quid pro quo seems un-hidden by John’s phrase “his own”;, the elect; the antinomians. See John 6:39.
Having acquired high regard for both civic-integrity and civil-order, I decided during my second quarter-century that I am neither elect nor antinomian. However, I reject many of St. John’s opinions about the non-elect (me), especially John 15:18-23.]

The evening meal was in progress, and the devil [like “soul”, “devil” seems a human-construct. I perceive no obligation to disprove mystery] had already prompted Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, to betray Jesus. Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power [I assert that the-metaphysical-Jesus advocates Genesis 1:28, and St. John missed it; each human-being can& may independently constrain chaos in their life choices. That is, Jesus cannot usurp their opportunity to choose the-good.], and that he had come from God [Cynthia admits neither knowing the-ineluctable-truth nor opining better than St. John yet confidently states that God and Jesus are the same. When pressed, she says, “The mystery of oneness gives me comfort, and I don’t have to explain mysteries”. This illustrates my meaning when I say Cynthia has serene-confidence.] and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.

He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?”

Jesus replied, “You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.”

“No,” said Peter, “you shall never wash my feet.”

Jesus answered, “Unless I wash you, you have no part with me.” [In 2022 vernacular, unless you don your COVID mask you cannot enter my space.]

“Then, Lord,” Simon Peter replied, “not just my feet but my hands and my head as well!”

10 Jesus answered, “Those who have had a bath need only to wash their feet; their whole body is clean. [A bath does not prevent your breath or a cough from spreading germs and viruses you may be carrying.] And you are clean, though not every one of you.” 11 For he knew who was going to betray him, and that was why he said not every one was clean. [St. John employed a straw-man fallacy -- bath for betrayal -- that lessens my interest in the remainder of the story. That is to say, a story that offers an agendum is interesting only to the extent of the reader's purpose.]

12 When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” he asked them. 13 “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. 14 Now that I, your Lord [Using “Lord” may seem competitive with Jewish beliefs, but to me, it creates competition between Jesus and the Father. That’s not possible for Cynthia, who believes they are the same. I would not change her opinion for anything nor would I change my opinion. I reserve the right to be wrong on both counts.] and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. [Civic citizens "wash each other's feet" each time they facilitate responsible-human-independence.]15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 16 Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. [I perceive 1) that I am a messenger for myself and any-citizen with appreciation-for& humility-to whatever-controls-the-consequences-of-each-human-choice and 2) that some if not all Nomads seem part of that culture.] 17 Now that you know these things, you will be blessed [Ceremonial washing of feet to recall the 12 who included one betrayer is not a practice I desire.] if you do them. [Most important is Genesis 1:28, especially since the author of the 5,500 year-old version may have responded to Jesus, metaphysical or not.]

Jesus Predicts His Betrayal

18 “I am not referring to all of you; I know those I have chosen. [Here again appears the psychological quid pro quo I perceive in V. 1: the unsuspecting individual desires to be confident-in& loyal-to someone who chose them. That’s the sentiment that enslaved me to Christianity’s formula until 1994. With so much St.-John-confusion to contend with, it is difficult for someone who is convinced they are not elect to accept their destiny, perhaps to pursue the-metaphysical-Jesus; the practical Jesus to be acquired by ignoring Bible-nonsense. I am not a Christian, because I pursue Jesus’s message, not John’s “witness”.]  But this is to fulfill this passage of Scripture: ‘He who shared my bread has turned against me.’ [In 2022, we know better than to fall for scholar's predictions. Communion is a form of modern inquisition. In 15 years of “Christian” worship in the Catholic Church with my family, I never took communion, even though I was not then aware that I do not accept transubstantiation. After 1994, I do not take “The Lord’s Supper”, because I am neither Baptist nor Christian. That does not make me better, it’s simply that I accept not being elect. Neither does it imply that I do not appreciate other individual’s faiths for them. On the contrary, it is an act of appreciation for their opportunity to choose: Transubstantiation, Remembrance, or acceptance.]

19 “I am telling you now before it happens, so that when it does happen you will believe that I am who I am. [Jesus is the “I am” before Abraham was born, which I take as advocate-for if not author-of Genesis 1:28.] 20 Very truly I tell you, whoever accepts anyone I send accepts me; and whoever accepts me accepts the one who sent me.” [See John 6:36-37, especially “. . . whoever comes to me I will never drive away”. That is my strength and comfort for me. I support other civic-people’s private-comforts for them.]

21 After he had said this, Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified, “Very truly I tell you, one of you is going to betray me.” [Even at this moment, Judas had the RHI to reject the 30 pieces of sliver, to comply with Genesis 1:28.]

22 His disciples stared at one another, at a loss to know which of them he meant. 23 One of them, the disciple whom Jesus loved [I understand this expresses John, the author of this bemusement. Regardless, “the disciple” puts into question the meaning of “love” in John 13 and elsewhere in the Bible.], was reclining next to him. 24 Simon Peter motioned to this disciple [John] and said, “Ask him which one he means.” [For the first time, I notice St. John's competitive attitude toward St. Peter. Not only does John claim he is Jesus's favorite of the 12, he chooses to lessen Peter by claiming he asked Peter to ask Jesus rather than speak to Jesus directly. It's duplicitous on both accounts.]

25 Leaning back against Jesus, he [John] asked him, “Lord, who is it?”

26 Jesus answered, “It is the one to whom I will give this piece of bread when I have dipped it in the dish.” Then, dipping the piece of bread, he gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot. 27 As soon as Judas took the bread, Satan entered into him. [My friend Chris Nalepa told me this week that he, at age 65, wants to warn fellow-citizens that there is evil in the world. I like Chris’s concern. I prefer “evil” to “Satan”. Either way, John, is expressing his fiction. John cannot judge the motive behind another human-being’s intentions before the action.]

So Jesus told him, “What you are about to do, do quickly.” 28 But no one at the meal understood why Jesus said this to him. 29 Since Judas had charge of the money, some thought Jesus was telling him to buy what was needed for the festival, or to give something to the poor. 30 As soon as Judas had taken the bread, he went out. And it was night.

Jesus Predicts Peter’s Denial

31 When he was gone, Jesus said, “Now the Son of Man is glorified and God is glorified in him. 32 If God is glorified in him, God will glorify the Son in himself, and will glorify him at once.

33 “My children, I will be with you only a little longer. You will look for me, and just as I told the Jews, so I tell you now: Where I am going, you cannot come. [For the first time, I notice the phrase "I told the Jews", when every person at the table is a Jew. I am only a civic citizen, and I object to the author's offense to cite "the Jews". I now see this as an editorial oversight by Christian partisans, at best. The passage alienates me to the label "Jesus Christ", much as "Gentile Jesus" would alienate many. It's no wonder that anti-Semitism and anti-racism is alive and well in the USA and in Europe: reform is essential. I can now articulate more clearly why I am not a Christian: I advocate Jesus, who would influence every citizen to civic-integrity plus personal serenity with the mystery of soul.]

34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” [It seems more civic to appreciate one another. “Love” seem overblown, worn out, too vague, and mere slogan. Too often love is unwanted. “I’m in love with you” can seem like abuse of the other party’s preference. In the Christian community, when someone says, “Phil, I love you”, it reminds me of the coercion my E. Tennessee-Southern-Baptist birth-family suffered as Mom (Eastern Star) competed with Dad (32nd Degree Mason); I guess derived from Paul’s bad words, “Wives submit yourself to your own husbands”. It also invokes the notion that the speaker judges me lost and is praying for my salvation (as though Jesus is not reliable). If someone says “I’m praying for you (to be saved)”, I respond, “I’m praying for you, too.” If someone says, “I love you” I respond “I appreciate you”. I will not submit to psychological quid pro quo. I do not think I am alone in these thoughts, but do think few would study deeply enough to articulate them. I so study.]

36 Simon Peter asked him, “Lord, where are you going?”

Jesus replied, “Where I am going, you cannot follow now, but you will follow later.” [How much later?]

37 Peter asked, “Lord, why can’t I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.”

38 Then Jesus answered, “Will you really lay down your life for me? Very truly I tell you, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times! [Is John negatively competing? Where’s Peter’s guilt-acceptance: under attack by sword, I disowned Jesus? We do have John’s report of Peter’s assignment, “Feed my sheep”; John 21:15-17. I don't trust competitive apostles, especially when they purport to speak for Jesus. No one can witness for Jesus.]

No comments:

Post a Comment